Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Blessing of Opportunity

So it's a fact: I'm going to be a graduate student. Where will I be? I haven't a clue yet. But I have been officially accepted into three of the four programs to which I applied, including the Museum Education program at George Washington University. To be honest, I think that this program was always in the back of my mind when I imagined continuing my education. At the time, I didn't know how difficult it was to be accepted, but I later learned that although thousands of hopefuls apply, only fourteen are selected. I feel extremely blessed to have been given this opportunity--all these opportunities--no matter what decision I make in the coming weeks.

I once read that only 1% of the world's population is privileged enough to receive a secondary education. Although I wish the numbers were different and that everyone could further their education if they chose it, I recognize that I am one of those privileged few. To think that I am a woman pursuing a Master's degree is baffling when I compare my life with the lives of American women 100 years ago, or women in some societies even today! I am indeed very blessed.

(Also, I couldn't resist throwing in this picture of me wearing my rustic orange dress. I made it in January by altering a 1950's pattern, and I love how swingy it is when I dance. I believe credit for this picture goes to my dear friend Alexa.)

No comments:

Post a Comment