Thursday, November 1, 2012

A November Evening

Outside my window...it is dark, cold, and it smells like late autumn. The last yellow and red leaves fell from the trees during the hurricane, and are plastered to just about everything in sight. There is woodsmoke and the rich scent of wet grass in the air.

I am thinking...that I will be glad when my parents return home tomorrow. This week has taken a lot out of me, and I’ve been longing for a quiet, cozy night with the family. I haven’t slept in my own bed all week, and I don’t quite feel myself.

I am thankful....that my family and friends are safe after Hurricane Sandy. There are so many people that have been affected by the storm, I am thankful that our house was not damaged and that no one in my town was hurt.

I am wearing...my substitute teaching clothes! Grey tights, a blue patterned dress, and a navy blue cardigan.

I am hearing...the quiet noises of an empty house. The kitchen clock is ticking, the gas stove is settling, the animals are moving around, and the old floorboards are creaking under my chair.

I am pondering...the importance of self-control. For the past two nights I have found myself eating far too much Halloween candy, and almost immediately regretting it. Over the weekend I found a book that uses yoga practices to promote control of the body and mind. This morning I ordered it for myself (something I rarely do) because I feel that I need some structure to support my current lifestyle. 


I am wondering...whether I will have enough motivation to clean my room tonight. Otherwise I’ll have to spend another night downstairs. This past week, I was so preoccupied with parties, houseguests, hurricanes, work, and chores, that I didn’t take much time to do anything for myself. I was in the midst of cleaning my room, doing my laundry, and organizing my sewing projects when my parents left for their business trip. After that, all hope of finishing my individual work was lost.

I am reading...nothing at the moment. I have been trying to keep up with Bible readings when I read anything, but I seem only to be able to read my herbal healing books on a daily basis to deal with headaches, stomach aches, and cramps.

I am hoping...that this weekend I will have the opportunity to get started on a new healthy-living routine. I specifically used my trip to the grocery to buy flax seed, tofu, and lots of fruit. Tomorrow I hope to cleanse my system of all that Halloween candy, and make some vegetarian inspired snacks and meals.

I am going...to see Barack Obama and Bill Clinton on Sunday. I haven’t taken advantage of any political events this election season, but I came up with a fabulous tee shirt slogan, and I’m planning to wear it to a rally in the capital. Here’s a sneak peek: “I’ve got a history degree, but even I’d rather move FORWARD than backward!” It came to me as I was thinking about how scarily backward Romney’s and Ryan’s views on women are.

I am smelling...a stinky dog. I think I should give her a bath tonight. :-P

I am noticing...how much I have to get done before tomorrow afternoon! Clean house, strip beds, bathe dog, wash dishes, do laundry, take down Halloween decorations, cook down pumpkins for canning, put away laundry, bake, start healthy living routine, get Thanksgiving decorations up, put out campaign signs, run errands, etc. Yikes.
 
I am remembering...some of the wonderful things God has done for me lately. He is so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment