Thursday, June 21, 2012

Garden Beginnings 2012

 We've barely planted all our vegetables, but the garden is going crazy already! The New Hampshire winter was so mild this year that most of our perennials are weeks ahead of themselves. The only downside is that with the mild winter, the squirrel and chipmunk population has exploded. I have to be very careful not to direct seed anything, because the chipmunks will swarm once I've left the garden. It's frustrating because half of what I've planted has been eaten before it could even sprout!
 In any case, we've got much of the same garden spread this year. Pickling cucumbers, peppermint, oregano, dill, edamame, summer squash, purple pole beans, sugar snap peas, lettuce, Asian greens, potatoes, tomatoes, strawberries, rhubarb, horseradish, etc. A neighbor gave us an artichoke, which I planted near the compost. It's been in for about a month, and it seems to be doing quite well. I also transplanted some raspberry canes which were growing wild behind the garage. We'll see how things go with that experiment.
 I'm trying to diversify my herb collection, and in addition to my chamomile, mint, thyme, dill, chives, lavender, parsley, oregano, rosemary, basil, etc, I have added yarrow, lemon balm, and bee balm.







No comments:

Post a Comment