Saturday, July 7, 2012

Favorite Home Remedies

This year I've been striving to do away with the added chemicals in commercial soaps, painkillers, and hygiene products in my life. Being a fairly active person, the most difficult part of this transition has been weaning myself off of acetaminophen. About nine months ago, I broke a few ribs and found myself taking painkillers every few hours to ward off back pain and the pain of the actual broken bones. I am also prone to headaches, vertigo, and nausea. Needless to say, this has been quite an experience testing the limits of my pain threshold. In place of the over-the-counter medications that I used to rely so heavily on, I have found comfort in a few excellent home remedies.

For back pain and/or muscle aches:
-Drink a few cups of peppermint tea every day
-Draw a warm bath and add 1/4 cup baking soda & 2 cups freshly steeped peppermint tea (soak for at least 20 minutes, relaxing all muscles)

For nausea, indigestion, or bloating:
-Slice a few pieces of fresh ginger root & steep for 5 minutes to make tea-- drink a cup every few hours as long as symptoms persist
-Peppermint tea helps digestion as well, but it has a much stronger flavor and can sometimes give the sensation of filling you up before it provides relief
-If severe stomach cramps are a problem, I suggest steeping a teaspoon of caraway seeds in hot water & sipping slowly

For dizziness and/or vertigo:
-I drink ginger tea for my vertigo, usually while lying with a cool cloth over my eyes

And of course, one of my favorite home remedies is daily yoga! I find that doing a few stretches each night and meditating for about 20 minutes before bed helps me to focus on my body and its needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment